L.O.V.E. IS THE ANSWER 8-HOUR WORKSHOP
Introducing the Ultimate Workshop For Improving Police-Community Relations
As the director and producer of the award-winning film “WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. Is The Answer,” which has been teaching people how to love their neighbor and improving police-community relations since its release in February 2017, I’m excited to announce the companion instant-hit L.O.V.E. Is The Answer workshop!Our first full-day workshop took place April 8, 2019 with the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office in Winston-Salem, NC. Now we’re taking it nationwide and we want to work with you.
The L.O.V.E. Is The Answer Workshop is an innovative one-of-a-kind full-day personal development experience. The workshop begins with the film and then goes into a deep dive into the Aloha-inspired L.O.V.E. Is The Answer principles that made the film a hit. One of the strengths of the L.O.V.E. Is The Answer workshop is that police and community members, including students, learn and grow together — not on separate islands. They learn how to become “Ohana” — family. This workshop will not only save lives, it will enhance them.
What is “L.O.V.E. Is The Answer?”
The L.O.V.E. acronym includes four action steps we are teaching, best explained through the L.O.V.E. Is The Answer pledge: I pledge to LEARN about the people in my community, to unconditionally OPEN myheart to their needs as if they were all immediate family members, to VOLUNTEER tobe part of the solution in their life during both good and challenging times, and toEMPOWER everyone I meet to do the same as if our lives depended on each other. These principles are for everyone and can be used at work, at school and everywhere else.
L.O.V.E. IS THE ANSWER WORKSHOP HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
– Welcome and overview of the day
– Framing the Issue: rapid-fire discussion about the problems between police and community
– WALKING WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. Is The Answer film, Q&A with the director and discussion.
– Keynote speaker
– LEARN (about the people around you) instruction and exercises.
– OPEN (your heart to their needs) instruction and exercises.
– VOLUNTEER (yourself to be part of the solution in their life) instruction and exercises.
– RAND Corporation’s police-community scenario tabletop exercise.
– EMPOWER (others to do the same) instruction and exercises.
NOTES FROM OUR FIRST FULL-DAY WORKSHOP:
On April 8th we trained dozens of members of the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, other law enforcement agencies and community members including high school students in Winston-Salem, North Carolina to kick off our full-day L.O.V.E. Is The Answer workshop program throughout the country. 65 people participated in this inaugural event. Some of the comments we received at the April 8 workshop in North Carolina included:
– Best training I’ve been to! Thank you!
– I really enjoyed this workshop. This will have me looking at love towards the community differently. AJ & Omar were great instructors. I would love to do another workshop with them.
– AJ’s passion for the subject matter is evident. Great Work!
– Thank you so much for having us. The students were great. All the information was great. I enjoyed the environment. I learned many things. I had no idea from the perspective on the other side. Everything was excellent.
NEXT WORKSHOP — SANTA MONICA, CA 5/23/19:
On May 23, we’ll be training a few dozen members of the Santa Monica PD, Santa Monica College PD and Pasadena PD, along with other members of the Santa Monica and Los Angeles area community. This will be our first full-day L.O.V.E. Is The Answer workshop on the west coast!
Register at https://lovesantamonica052319.eventbrite.com
Lead the way in reconciliation. CALL 323-577-5976 to schedule a workshop in your community today.
SOME PHOTOS FROM OUR 4/8/19 WORKSHOP WITH THE FORSYTH COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE IN WINSTON-SALEM, NC:
Every attendee signed it in our Winston-Salem workshop
Sheriff Bobby Kimbrough addresses high school students attending the workshop who just shared their 5-year goals with the rest of the class. More than two dozen members of Forsyth County law enforcement pledged to support their efforts to help them reach their goals.
Small group activities are a big part of the L.O.V.E. Is The Answer workshop.
There was plenty of laughter, some tears and many hearts transformed during this special day. Folded arms in the morning turned into open arms and hugs by the afternoon. Strangers left as family