L.O.V.E. IS THE ANSWER 8-HOUR WORKSHOP
Introducing the L.O.V.E. Is The Answer 8-Hour Workshop, an innovative professional and personal development workshop for members of law enforcement, civil rights groups and other stakeholders in the community to learn and grow together. Our workshop starts with a screening of the 60-minute version of the award-winning film, “WALKING WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. Is The Answer,” followed by a full-day of interactive learning about the transformative L.O.V.E. Is The Answer principles.
This workshop tackles a tough subject and reshapes the narrative from conflict to L.O.V.E. (Learning about each other, Opening our hearts to each other, Volunteering to be part of the solution in each other’s lives and Empowering others to do the same).
The “WALKING WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. Is The Answer” film has been improving relations between police and people of color since it’s February 2017 release. Law Enforcement Action Partnership (LEAP) and National Black State Troopers Coalition are just a couple of the many law enforcement groups using the film. The National Association of African Americans in Human Resources (NAAAHR) and LEAP are national strategic partners of ours. Civil rights groups, schools, libraries and private companies are also licensing and showing the film in classrooms and community screenings. The L.O.V.E. Is The Answer workshop enables viewers to dive much deeper into the subject matter alongside others from their community, leading to improved relationships.
“We’ve joined the L.O.V.E. Is The Answer movement to approach the solution from a new angle – one that focuses directly on officer-civilian interactions and creates space to build trust,” said Major Neill Franklin (Ret.), Executive Director, Law Enforcement Action Partnership (LEAP).
— ITINERARY —
9 AM – WELCOME & OVERVIEW OF THE DAY
9:15 AM – FRAMING THE ISSUE: 15-MINUTES OF RAPID FIRE DISCUSSION ABOUT THE PROBLEMS BETWEEN POLICE & COMMUNITY
– Let’s use this time to get it all out there. This is the “why” we need this workshop.
– We’re anonymous during this portion of the training — just as if we were passing each other on the street. Do this without saying who you are or what you do for a living. Just state the problems and who you think is to blame for them. Be as transparent as you can. Comments will be written on a whiteboard by the facilitator. We’ll come back to the whiteboard during each of the four afternoon sessions until we’ve organically addressed all of the problems with L.O.V.E.-based solutions.
9:30 AM – 60-90-SECOND RAPID-FIRE INTRODUCTIONS IN AN EXERCISE FORMAT THAT BREAKS DOWN STEREOTYPES AND SHOWS HOW CONNECTED WE ARE
– Say your name and 3 things about yourself including what you do for a living (or school course of study), a favorite activity or hobby and something not a lot of people know about you. Anyone with common ground raises their hand. Facilitator picks a person to go next and that person starts out by sharing their common ground with the previous person.
10 AM – BREAK AND INFORMAL CONVERSATION
10:15 AM – WALKING WHILE BLACK: L.O.V.E. IS THE ANSWER FILM (60-MINUTE VERSION)
* All attendees also receive a promo code to view the 94-minute version of the film on their own.
11:15 AM – SHARE THOUGHTS ABOUT FILM
12 PM – LUNCH WITH KEYNOTE SPEAKER
1 PM – LEARN ABOUT PEOPLE IN YOUR COMMUNITY
– Facilitator describes meaning of “Learn” and defines “community.”
– Exercises developing brain knowledge
– Acknowledging and overcoming implicit bias – Improving communication skills
– Critical thinking in high-stress situations
1:55 PM – BREAK
2 PM – OPEN YOUR HEART TO THE PEOPLE IN YOUR COMMUNITY
– Facilitator describes meaning of “Open”
– Exercises developing heart knowledge, leading to empathy
2:55 PM – BREAK
3 PM – VOLUNTEER YOURSELF TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION IN THEIR LIVES
– Facilitator describes meaning of “Volunteer”
– Exercises designed to get people to engage with others in positive and productive ways
3:55 PM – BREAK
4 PM – EMPOWER OTHERS TO DO THE SAME
– Facilitator describes meaning of “Empower”
– Leadership training and exercises designed to build and strengthen community
4:50 PM – CLOSING REMARKS
5 PM – END
Lead the way in reconciliation. CALL 323-577-5976 or email email@example.com to schedule a workshop in your community today.